Sunday, October 24, 2010

Progressing

While there is not much to see in photos, work is actually being done.  It's mostly small stuff like handrails, a little painting and priming, taping joints in the foam board and this Friday, grading was done.  This week is scheduled to be a big one though, with siding being installed, plumbing being roughed in, roofing materials being delivered and possibly installed with the electrical rough in close behind.  There should be some facebook and blog worthy photos by the end of next week that really shows some progress.

I am slowly shifting from my supervisory position, or should I say babysitting position, to more hands on activities.  I installed all the brackets on the porch and kitchen, and ripped lumber for the siding guys and for the hog panel handrails.  That's right hog panels.  What is that you ask?

I got a price on stainless steel cables and fittings to fit between my deck posts as a railing.  The price: $1165.00 for materials.  I was to provide the labor.  Over a thousand dollars for some 1/4" cable and fittings.  That seems a bit much to me.  I had the brilliant and what I thought to be original idea to make frames of wood and sandwich galvanized hog panels between them to use as a substitute for the stainless cables.  Price of wood and hog panels?  About $150.  Hog panels are the type of galvanized steel mesh panels used in fencing in farm animals and I suppose usually hogs.  They sell for about $21 at Tractor Supply and look very techno industrial, just like the expensive stainless steel wires.  I'll have photos soon I hope.  Turns out that it was not an original idea as I found photos of it being done on the internet and it looks way cool.


Exposed kitchen beams and brackets

Porch brackets

The bridge to the upper parking area is done

No comments:

Post a Comment