Sunday, October 3, 2010

Two steps forward, one back

Progress is being made but it has been two steps forward and one step back.  The absence of supervision and carpentry skill has lead to some details coming out wrong which then have to be accommodated for or redone.  I had to relearn a lesson that I learned the hard way years ago.  Don't take the low bidder.  There is a reason that he is low.  In this case it is lack of a knowledgeable supervisor, or one who at least speaks English.  The carpenters are hard working and have great attitudes but lack blueprint reading skills.

Communication with them has been challenging.  Next time, and I hope there is no next time, I'd pay the extra money and go with the proven and competent builder.  If you are reading this, please make a note and learn from my expensive mistake.

The roof sheathing is now up, so soon, once windows are installed the structure will be dried in.   That will be nice to have the rain kept out and the dryness in.  I am now thinking about siding (Hardi-board or SmartSiding?), exterior trim, painting schemes, getting roofing installed and prematurely, I know, landscaping.
Tim Posey, my consulting architect will be starting a new job on Monday so will be available on a very limited basis, so now I take the helm in guiding this misguide ship through the stormy waters of construction. 

Building this house has been challenging but fun and exciting. This week has only been challenging.  I am looking forward to completing my contract with this incompetent contractor and moving on to more reputable and skillful subs.  I will be happy to give out the name of the contractor to anyone interested and more than happy to recommend a couple of others that I know, like Mark Catoe or David Bennert.




Cosmo admiring the view of the garden

The south west corner

The back of the house looking south

The stairs will be torn out and redone

1 comment:

  1. Your house looks awesome- sorry it's been frustrating. What would a big project be without the frustration, I guess... Hey, I am having a Halloween weekend out at my place- work party Saturday, bonfire with pagan revelries Saturday night, campout sleepover option- then hangout and loafer on Sunday. I think I will have power and water by then and my camper should be up there. I am also planning to set up a 20 by 20 tent. Pencil it in if you are interested in coming out. I am also wanting people to play some music...

    ReplyDelete