Friday, November 5, 2010

Just in time

The roof got put on this week and just in time as we had a good rain and now a forecast of snow.  I didn't have any snow yet in Asheville but did get a very brief hale shower.  Pedro and his crew did a good job.  This was the first crew on this job that I trusted and seemed to really know what they were doing.  With these guys, one thing leads to another.  One of the guys helping Pedro is a landscape contractor and wants to do some rock work for me.  They have another friend to do the sheetrock work.  These guys came to me as a referral from one of the framers.  They have quite the referral network going on here, and most of them hardly speak English.  I think they are on to something in the business world.
Pedro and the roofing crew

Other progress being made is in plumbing and electrical.  Both of these contractors are long time locals and speak English pretty well.  They are on the job and I feel safe in their hands (as far as plumbing and electrical go that is).  The plumbing rough in is complete and is holding a hydrostatic pressure test.  Electrical rough in is in progress.
hog panel handrails
The hog panels are up.  One of the roofing crew asked as he watched me install them if I had some animals that I was going to keep on the deck.  I think they came out nicely and was a fraction of the cost of the stainless cables.  While they are not as slick as the cables they do the job and look kind of industrial/farm style.
The awning roofs over the south windows
I have abandoned my idea to use a combination air conditioner/heater window unit installed in the wall.  It was just a little too ghetto and if I ever decide to sell this house one day, I am sure it would not help the process.  I am instead getting quotes on a split heat pump system where I'd have one coil for each floor.  This will be a lot more expensive but I am sure I will appreciate it next August and September.  I also have insulation contractors bidding the job.  Open cell foam under the house and in the vaulted ceiling and fiberglass in the walls and attic.  I hope to have photos of completed siding by the middle of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment