Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spring 2013 - Farmer's Market

There are a lot of things happening on the farm this Spring! As you can see from the photos Cosmo Farm now has a new pond, stocked with Rainbow trout, laying Kahki Campbell ducks, new lambs on the ground, and a new acre and a half pasture only to name a few. There are fifty baby chicks in the brooder growing feathers so they can get out in the pasture where they will be on fresh grass and have plenty of bugs to eat. That makes for good healthy chickens, the natural way. I have doubled my Shiitake mushroom production and have added Oyster mushroom cultivation. A new green house has been erected to produce plant starts, summer tomato and pepper growing and for growing winter greens. The green house extends the growing season to year round.

I am happy to announce that I am finally, after years of preparation, to have a stall at the Tranyslvania Farmer's Market in Brevard on Saturdays. As the little farm slowly grows, I feel like I can finally put out enough high quality product to be proud to call my own. Since it is still early in the season, I'll start with Shiitake mushrooms and eggs from chickens and ducks. Then in a few weeks, if all goes as planned I'll have pastured broilers to add to the mix. Then the vegetables and fruit and blueberries. I am excited not only to finally see the fruits of all my years of dreaming and work but also to be a more active part of the vibrant Brevard community.

The dreaming does not stop here though. I am also wanting to add pastured pork to my offerings by running Tamworth pigs in the woods. Tamworths are a heritage breed that has retained it's innate ability to forage for nuts, roots and grubs. This natural diet is what makes woodland pork unequaled.

Saturday April 20th marks the opening day of the farmers market in Brevard. Please come out to visit as there will be music and other special events happening. Our little market is growing and becoming more diversified and we welcome your participation. http://transylvaniafarmersmarket.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment