Friday, April 19, 2013

April 2013

While it is still a bit early in the season for produce there is still a lot going on here. As you can see I have started fifty Jumbo Cornish Cross chicks to be harvested for meat. This is the same kind of chicken you find at the local grocery store. They have double wide breasts and grow really quickly. They are still in the brooder growing out feathers but will soon be out in the pasture eating bugs and fresh grass.


The pond finally got filled with water and fish! I stocked the pond with 80 small Rainbow trout that I purchased from a neighbor that has a trout farm. They should be ready for harvesting this fall but in the mean time I am enjoying watching them swim and splash around at feeding time.


As a result of clearing a new one acre pasture of pine and poplar trees I am left with around 150 logs. They are currently being trucked to a local mill for cutting into lumber for a new sharn (shop/barn).


After a full year of work, but mostly not working on them, the stone steps leading up to my house are complete. All the stone came from the farm found in creeks and during excavations. The project came out really nice but I am glad it's over. What a back breaker. Thanks to neighbor Martin' for help.


Tomorrow is the first day of the Transylvania Farmer's Market. I have everything ready to go. It is still a bit early since not much is happening in the garden yet but I do have lots of eggs for sale and the mushrooms will be coming along very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment