Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Footings

This is the foundation, the base of the house, that which supports everything above, like the arch in your feet.  This foundation could support a 4 story building I am sure.  It is full of 5/8" steel rebar and 14 yards of concrete, which is 40% more than was calculated.
Other than the concrete crew being an hour late and my getting very nervous and going 40% over on the estimate, it went off without a hitch.  The guys actually had to scrape the last of the concrete out of the concrete pump and use compressed air to get the last few crumbs out of the hoses in order to finish the pour.  Whew!
Tomorrow the mason is scheduled to start putting up the concrete block walls and piers.  We should be ready to start framing by Monday.  I really need to get to ordering windows before these guys get ahead of me.  Maybe I'll be in before the end of the year after all.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa Allen, I'm so "J!" You are really moving along. Good for you. So, I am wondering, but I can't tell from the pictures- are you building your house on a hillside? Did the dud flatten out a spot on a hill or what? How big of a spot did you get leveled? Did you plant a bunch of blueberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's at the bottom of the hill and he cut a back slope crest to make the water drain away and to the sides of the house. The house is being built on piers except for under the kitchen where I'll have a root cellar, for storing all my goodies. I moved tons of earth and have a spot big enough to add on another bedroom if I need it later.

    ReplyDelete