Friday, September 17, 2010

Here we go.......

Checklist:  The foundation is complete.  The cellar waterproofing complete.  Temporary power and underground electrical lines are complete.  The inspector is coming out to do his final foundation and waterproofing inspection this morning. 

Now we are off.  The material takeoff is done and the  framing contractor is lined up to start on Tuesday.  Windows are on order and I am now in the process of choosing interior doors, flooring, and other trim and finishes.  I am looking for simple clean lines which I try to describe as Appalachian Farmhouse Zen or maybe Shakerish or a kind of simple Arts and Craft style.  No fancy moldings for me but plenty of large square cut shapes.  Simple square two panel doors in fir or pine, square barge moldings around doors and windows, light natural wood floors, some dark slate colored tile for countertops is what I have in mind.

I am expecting the framing crew of five will only need a couple of weeks before the entire house is framed, windows installed and dried in.  Then it will be roofing and siding time which is what I am also selecting now. 

There are so many decisions to make in such a short amount of time.  Even though I have been thinking about this for years, when it comes down to the wire, decision time, it gets scary and exciting.  It's something I'll have to live with for years. 

2 comments:

  1. Jeezus. You are in it. Perhaps we can talk a little house building at Jessie's b-day bash. I'll be the one making paw paw coladas. Glad you liked the fruit by the way and I am sorry I interrupted your session- thought it might be a Zabumba moment but I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed you and the others (and the pawpaw colatas)at the party. I had a date to help burn brush on a friends property. We start framing tomorrow morning at 8am!!!

    ReplyDelete