Saturday, September 11, 2010

Winter approaches


My friend Devon offered to help me split firewood this weekend in exchange for some help at her house burning a brush pile.  We had not counted on the rain but worked through it getting soaked and muddied in the process.  I rented a 30 ton hydraulic log splitter, which got the job done.  Up to this winter I have always split all my firewood a little bit at a time with a splitting maul.  That process was not bad but this year I had tons of firewood to split from all the trees that came down during excavation of the house site.  What I learned is that it is much better to split it all at once with a hydraulic splitter and to have some help doing it. 
The work was quick, efficient and enjoyable with Devon's help and smiles.  She is one wood splitting woman, I must say as I had to hustle just to stack what she was splitting.  The wood was just flying off that splitter and into the stacking pile.  All in all we must have split two cords in about four hours time.
I'll be at it again tomorrow but will only get about half of my wood pile split.  The rest will be wood for next winter.

2 comments:

  1. How much did that thing cost to rent? Also that Devon looks like one tough cookie. Good for you for asking a broad for help... not every man is able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She actually kicked my ass in the work dept. She is tough and sweet as can be.
    The $70 rate for the weekend for the log splitter was well worth it as I got at least two cords split in a matter of a few hours.

    ReplyDelete